Home - Academic Departments - Resource Department
LEARNING RESOURCE PHILOSOPHY
We believe every student at Harvest Christian Academy is uniquely created and is able to be a successful student. Our Learning Resource Center staff serves students by guiding them toward a life of being a well-educated, growing disciple of Jesus Christ.
The Learning Resource Center provides a safe, comfortable and quiet learning environment, where one-on-one help for each student is the goal. Through interventions, re-teaching, pre-teaching and various accommodations, we strive to optimize the learning experience for each resource student.
The goals of the Learning Resource Center:
- To provide a learning environment that enables children to overcome learning disabilities and differences.
- To spark and develop their potential to succeed in the classroom.
- To build their skills, confidence, and character, so as to empower them to manage life and reach their highest personal potential.
The method of accomplishing our goals:
- An exceptionally low student/teacher ratio.
- Teaching specialists with a calling and skill for the child with learning differences or special needs.
- A range of kinesthetic and practical approaches to teaching and learning subject matter.
- A recognition and genuine appreciation for the unique individuality of each child.
- Teachers who encourage and counsel their students and who serve as their advocates and monitors in the mainstream classroom.
- Establishing and maintaining a relationship with the home that guides the parent and nurtures the growth of the child.
LEARNING RESOURCE STAFF
Learning Resource Coordinator
Tami White joined HCA in 2014. Tami, her husband James and their three sons, Austin, Westin and Dylan are members of Harvest Bible Chapel. Tami and James have been married since 1992 and their sons attend HCA. Earning a BA in Special Education from Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC and serving in many different leadership roles, Mrs. White has extensive experience as an educator in both public and private schools. She has worked with children of differing ages and abilities in a myriad of settings.
Learning Resource Teacher
Mrs. Karyn Goodwin serves HCA as a Learning Resource Teacher. She tutors students in reading, spelling and writing using the Barton Reading and Spelling System. Karyn earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Elementary Education from Concordia University, Chicago. She is a Certified Teacher and Dyslexia Tutor qualified in screening children and adults for dyslexia. Before her career as a corporate accounting manager, she served as a 5th-8th grade classroom teacher in Christian schools and coached basketball, volleyball and track. Karyn says: “I love training and coaching people to succeed, whether they are children or adults, while guiding them to know who they are in Christ.”
Learning Resource Teacher
Heather has been working part-time at HCA for three years. She has her Bachelors degree in Elementary Education and a Masters in Teaching and Leadership. Heather taught in District 57 for 10 years before taking time off to stay home to raise her girls. She and her husband Tim have two daughters, Madison and Emily, who attend HCA and love to create family memories by going on Pf
ister Pfamily Pfun Adventures.
The Pfisters have been long time members at Harvest Bible Chapel.