Mrs. Ciofani-Nolan's Classes

    Home - Academics - High School Classes - Mrs. Ciofani-Nolan's Classes - Mrs. Ciofani-Nolan's Classes

    ENGLISH I                               

    Course Description:  English I  fulfills two of the four writing intensive courses required for graduation.  Freshmen will learn the mechanics and usage of grammar in a writing context.  Literature studies will be integrated with written reports and reading responses.  Students will become more secure in their reading comprehension, writing and analysis skills.

    Sampling of Course Topics:  Short story unit, Homer’s The Odyssey, Golding’s Lord of the Flies, Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird, Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, vocabulary, reader response journals, grammar reviews, various writing activities, and research papers.


    AP Literature                                                           

    Course Description:  A.P. English Literature and Composition is a college/university level course which will challenge your thinking and ability at a college / university level. You have the option of taking the A.P. English Literature and Composition Exam in May. A student who earns a 3 or better on the exam will receive college credit at most colleges and universities. It is important to check with your selected college or university for specific requirements. Regardless whether or not you elect to take the exam, extensive research has shown just taking the course increases student success at the post-secondary level.

    Sampling of Course Topics:  Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment, Orwell’s 1984, Beckett's Waiting for Godot, poetry, short stories, reader response journals, research papers, grammar reviews, and vocabulary


    THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO ALL CLASSES


    Evaluation/Grading:

    Points will be given for homework assignments, projects, journals, quizzes, tests, and written papers.  Grades are weighted as follows:  Summative (50%), Formative (40%). The final grade breakdown: semester total 90%, final exam 10%.

    Late Work and Makeup Work Policy:
    Work is due the day it is assigned.  If your assignment is late, a full letter grade will be deducted for each day the assignment is late.  In the case of an absence, the work is due on the day you return and all makeup work must be finished within the number of days you were absent (ie. 1 day absent=1 extra day for makeup). 

    Cheating/Plagiarism:
    For a student caught cheating or plagiarizing on any work, the consequence is an automatic zero on the assignment/quiz/test/essay and there will be no makeup work assigned.

    What I Expect from You:
    Come to class on time
    -You are tardy if you are not in your seat when the bell rings, unless you have a written pass from the appropriate authority.
    Be prepared
    - Come to class each day prepared to work and with any assignments due that day.  Bring your text, portfolio, paper, and a writing instrument.
    Share your talents
    - Participate in classroom activities.  When you have a question, ask.  When you have an opinion, share it.  Curiosity and creativity are valued, respected, encouraged, and rewarded in this classroom.
    Follow directions
    - Work should be completed on time and should reflect your best efforts. 
    ​Respect your fellow students and your teacher, and you will receive the same in return
    - Help each other, have patience, and resolve your conflicts in a Christ-like manner.  Problems will arise, but we will solve them together.

     My goal is for every one of you to succeed.  Please do not hesitate to ask for help!

     

    High School Language Arts and Literature
    (847) 214-3500 x 3330
    • Courses
    • Events Calendar

    Section Pages

    The mission of Harvest Christian Academy is to glorify God through the fulfillment of the Great Commission. HCA is a ministry of Harvest Bible Chapel, one church on multiple campuses located throughout the Chicagoland area. HCA is located at the Elgin Campus.
    Address : 1000 N Randall Road Elgin, IL 60123
    Phone : 847.214.3500
    Fax : 847.214.3501
    Email : info@harvestchristianacademy.org
    Visit Contact Page
    Harvest Employment
    Harvest Bible Chapel Logo